Lesson # a1101 ----- keyword: ing-now
Progressive: present - NOW
>> When we speak about NOW, we often use the progressive tense.
The present progressive refers to NOW, at this moment. It is formed
with NOUN + BE + (VERB+ING):
NOUN BE NEGATIVE VERB + ING CONTRACTION
I am speaking. I'm speaking.
I am not speaking. I'm not speaking.
You are listening. You're listening.
You are not listening. You're not listening.
You aren't listening.
He is thinking. He's thinking.
He is not thinking. He's not thinking.
He isn't thinking.
It is raining. It's raining.
It is not raining. It's not raining.
It isn't raining.
We are sitting. We're sitting.
We are not sitting. We're not sitting.
We aren't sitting.
>> For most verbs, add "ing":
>> For verbs that end in "e", remove the "e" and add "ing":
>> For verbs that end in ONE VOWEL + ONE CONSONANT, where the accent
is on the last syllable, double the last consonant:
>> Without the doubled consonant, the pronunciation would change.
VERBS NOT USED IN PRESENT PROGRESSIVE:
>> We usually DO NOT use the following verbs with the present
approve, believe, desire, disapprove, forget, hate, hear, imagine, know,
like, love, notice, realize, recognize, remember, see, smell, understand, want, wish
belong, comprise, contain, cost, equal, have, include, own, resemble, weigh
bathing suit, belt, coat, dress, glove, hat, jacket, overcoat, pants, sandals,
scarf, shirt, shoe, shorts, skirt, sock, stockings, suit, sweater, T-shirt, tie,
undershirt, underwear, vest, watch
-I am sitting. I'm not walking, I am not standing.
-What are you doing?
I'm studying English.
-Are you watching TV?
No, I'm studying.
-Are you studying French?
No, I'm not. I am studying English.
-Why are you smiling?
I'm smiling because it's Friday.
-What are you thinking about?
I'm thinking about Mexico.
-Who are you talking to on the phone?
I'm talking to my brother.
-Where are you going?
I'm going to the bathroom.
-Is the sun shining?
No, it isn't. It's raining.
-Is he cooking?
Yes, he is. He's cooking dinner.
-How is she feeling?
She is feeling fine.
-She is not sleeping. She's talking.
-He is reading. He isn't playing.
-Is Karl eating?
Yes, he is. He is eating spaghetti.
-Where is she going?
She's going home.
-Is it raining out?
No, it's not raining. It's windy.
-Is she drinking vodka?
No she isn't. She's drinking water.
-We are not studying German. We are studying English.
-What are they doing?
They are drinking beer.
-They are writing. They aren't swimming.
-Are they coming over here?
No they are going to David's house.
-Are the neighbor's dogs barking at someone?
No, they aren't. They're howling at the church bells.
correct, contract, blank, q, a
Fill in the blanks:
0. What ______ (you) watching on TV?
I ______ the football game.
---are you - am watching
1. Where ______ going?
She ______ to work.
2. ______ raining?
No, it's not. It's snowing.
3. Who ______ (come) for dinner?
Karl and Larry are coming.
4. ______ studying German?
No, I'm studying English.
5. What ______ looking at?
They are looking at the people walking in the street.
6. Hi, how ______ doing?
I'm doing fine, thanks. How are you?
7. ______ cooking spaghetti?
No, she's cooking rice.
8. ______ listening to me?
Yes! Yes, I'm listening.
9. Miguel! ______ looking at those young girls?
No, I'm looking at the trees.
10. ______ learning much English?
Yes, we're learning slowly.
11. It's 8:00 pm. My mother ______ (cook), my father ______ (take) a shower, my sister ______ (talk) on the phone, and I ______ (study) English.
12. It's 8:00 am. My sister ______ (study) at school, my father ______ (work) at the office, my mother ______ (work) at the bank, and I ______ (eat) breakfast.
Re-write the following sentences, using contractions:
0. What is John doing in the kitchen?
What's John doing in the kitchen?
13. What is happening outside?
14. There is a boy. He is riding a bicycle.
15. Where is he going?
16. He is going to the park.
17. What are you and Rachel watching on TV?
18. We are watching Star Trek.
19. What is happening on Star Trek?
20. The Captain is talking to Mr. Spock. Mr. Spock is looking at the computer. They are standing on the bridge.
21. Is Mr. Spock smiling?
22. No, he is not. Spock is not smiling.
Write answers for the following questions:
0. What are you doing?
I am doing my English exercises.
23. Are you sitting or standing?
24. Are you reading or writing?
25. Are you thinking or sleeping?
26. What are you wearing?
27. Are you wearing shoes?
28. Are you wearing a hat?
29. Is it raining or sunny out?
30. Are you running?
31. Where are you sitting?
32. Are you hungry?
Make questions for the following answers:
0. What are you wearing?
I am wearing blue jeans and a white shirt.
33. They are speaking Korean.
34. Yes, we're going shopping at the supermarket.
35. Yes, we are listening to you.
36. I'm thinking about my husband.
37. She's going to the store.
38. It's going great. How are things with you?
39. I'm feeling a little sick.
40. He's eating a large salad and french fries.
Put the words in the correct order:
0. are doing how you ?
How are you doing?
41. bed cat is hiding the the under
42. customer he is new speaking the to
43. are crying you why ?
44. a jacket wearing not I am
45. are going now to work you ?
46. again is my Pamela using hair-dryer ?
47. the today in helping is house mother Bruce his
48. Bruce the at not working factory is
49. you are news the watching ?
50. TV no are a we watching movie on
Questions based on the PICTURE # XX
POSSIBLE ANSWERS TO THE EXERCISES:
1. is she - is going
2. Is it
3. is coming
4. Are you
5. are they
6. are you
7. Is she, Is Mary
8. Are you
9. Are you
10. Are you
11. is cooking - is taking - is talking - am studying
12. is studying - is working - is working - am eating
13. What's happening outside?
14. There's a boy. He's riding a bicycle.
15. Where's he going?
16. He's going to the park.
17. What are you and Rachel watching on TV? (NO CONTRACTIONS POSSIBLE)
18. We're watching Star Trek.
19. What's happening on Star Trek?
20. The Captain's talking to Mr. Spock. Mr. Spock's looking at the computer. They're standing on the bridge.
21. Is Mr. Spock smiling? (NO CONTRACTIONS POSSIBLE)
22. No, he's not. Spock's not smiling.
23. I am sitting at my desk.
24. I'm reading and writing.
25. I'm trying to think. I'm almost sleeping.
26. I'm wearing underwear and a T-shirt.
27. Yes, I'm wearing cowboy boots.
28. No, I'm not wearing my cowboy hat.
29. It is not raining out. It is cloudy.
30. No, I'm not running.
31. I am sitting at my desk in my room in my house on Main Street.
32. Yes, I am very hungry.
33. What language are they speaking?
34. Are you going shopping?
35. Are you listening to me?
36. What are you thinking about?
37. Where is Diana going?
38. Hi, how is it going?
39. How are you feeling?
40. What is he eating?
41. The cat is hiding under the bed.
42. He is speaking to the new customer.
43. Why are you crying?
44. I am not wearing a jacket.
45. Are you going to work now?
46. Is Pamela using my hair-dryer again?
47. Bruce is helping his mother in the house today.
48. Bruce is not working at the factory.
49. Are you watching the news?
50. No, we are watching a movie on TV.